Student visa

Application for Student Visa in UK | Student Visa in UK | RD Laws


The concept of visa sponsorship lies at the core of the immigration system that operates in the United Kingdom. One has to submit an application for Student Visa in the UK via the appropriate channels in order to study in their preferred universities or schools. For immigration purposes, a student’s planned school acts as the “sponsor,” and a visa is issued for enrolment in a particular programme within that institution. This is contingent on the student meeting certain requirements.

Before they may begin their studies, the vast majority of international students must first obtain a student visa in the UK. During the period that you are actively enrolled in your programme, your visa will provide you permission to continue living in the UK and to pursue full-time academic pursuits there. It is easy to find out whether or not you need a visa to study, and we will be here to help you through the whole application and acquisition procedure for the visa.

You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you’re 16 or over and you:

Applying from outside the UK

The earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course.

You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

Applying from inside the UK

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your course starts.

You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring.

You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

How long you can stay

How long you can stay depends on the length of your course and what study you’ve already completed in the UK.

If you’re 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. If it’s below degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 2 years.


It costs:

  • £363 to apply for a Student visa from outside the UK
  • £490 to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK

You must pay the visa fee for each person that joins you.

Healthcare surcharge

You’ll also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application.

Your partner and children

What you can and cannot do

You can:

  • study
  • work as a student union sabbatical officer

You may be able to work – how much depends on what you’re studying and whether you’re working in or out of term-time.

You cannot:

  • claim public funds (benefits) and pensions
  • work in certain jobs, for example as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
  • be self-employed
  • study at an academy or a local authority-funded school (also known as a maintained school)
Get professional immigration advise and services for UK immigration