Services of Family Visas


You need a family visa to live with a family member of British Citizen or of Settled Persons Dependent Partner or child in the UK for more than 6 months.

Applying from outside the UK

You can apply for a family visa to live with your:

  • Spouse or partner

  • Fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner

  • Child

  • Parent

  • Relative who’ll provide long-term care for you

Extending your family visa

  • You can apply to extend your stay with your family member if you’re already in the UK on a family visa.

  • If you’re extending to stay with the same family member, you’ll only get up to 28 days left on your current stay added to your new visa.

  • You must live in the UK for a certain amount of time before you’re eligible for settlement (‘indefinite leave to remain’).

Switching to a family visa

If you came to the UK on a different visa, you might be able to switch to a family visa to stay with your:

  • Spouse or partner.

  • Child

  • Parent

You can switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

Skilled Worker, Student, Graduate visa, other PBS Dependent categories

Your partner and children

Your partner and children can also apply to join you or stay in the UK as your ‘dependants’ if they are eligible.

Your relationship

A dependant partner or child is any of the following:

  • Your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner

  • Your child under 18 - including if they were born in the UK during your stay

  • Your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependant

You will need to provide evidence of your relationship when you apply.

Your partner

You must be able to prove that either:

  • You are in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognised in the UK.

  • You’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply.

Get professional immigration advise and services for UK immigration