Skilled Worker & Family Members (PBS Dependents)

Your partner and children

Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependents’ if they’re eligible.

Your relationship

A dependent partner or child is any of the following:

  • your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • your child under 18 – including if they were born in the UK during your stay
  • your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as your dependent

Your partner

You must be able to prove that either:

  • you’re in a civil partnership or marriage that’s recognized in the UK
  • you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply

child – 16 or over

They must:

  • live with you (unless they’re in full-time education at boarding school, college or university)
  • not be married, in a civil partnership or have any children
  • be financially supported by you

Money they need to support themselves

Your partner and children must have a certain amount of money available to support themselves while they’re in the UK.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when they apply, unless either:

  • you have all been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • your employer can cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship

If your partner or child is applying at a different time to you, they’ll only need to prove they have enough money to support themselves if they have been in the UK for less than 1 year.

Proving their identity

As part of their application, your partner and children will need to prove their identity.

How long it takes to get a decision

Once they’ve applied online, proved their identity and provided their documents, they’ll usually get a decision within 3 weeks.

They may be able to pay to get their visa faster or use other services depending on which country they’re in check with the visa application center.

Apply from inside the UK (extend or switch their visa)

Apply for your partner or child’s visa at the same time as you apply to extend or switch your own visa. This includes children who were born or have turned 18 during your stay.

Your partner or children cannot apply to switch to your Skilled Worker visa as your dependents if they are currently in the UK:

    • on a visit visa
    • on a short-term student visa
    • on a Parent of a Child Student visa
    • on a seasonal worker visa
    • on a domestic worker in a private household visa
    • on immigration bail
    • because they were given permission to stay outside the immigration rules, for example on compassionate grounds

Get professional immigration advise and services for UK immigration